We are are proud to have 2 Apple Ipads and 2 Windows PC computers in our Pre-School Rooms and there is a PC in all other rooms at Stepping Stones Day Nursery - and the children are delighted with them. It's yet another way we ensure they are motivated, engaged and continuously learning through technology during structured times throughout the day.
So what is an Ipad?
The Ipad has taken over the personal computing world and is intuitive technology that engages children, allowing them to document processes with their fingers. What is written, drawn and created on the Ipad appears instantly, where it can then be saved and printed. The children can develop social, emotional and technological skills through use of an Ipad or Pc computer, as well as developing fine-motor skills such as hand-eye coordination. Children are able to imaginatively create, as well as edit and alter, continuously learning about graphics, design, and modern processes. The benefits are profound. Children collaborate more, swap ideas, help each other and enhance their language skills. Even from such a young age we've found:
• Children are inspired and delighted by using the touch-screen Ipads and PC computers.
• They love to touch it and make things happen - after all its an intuitive reaction for them!
• They enhance their motor skills, speech and language, reading and writing, number skills, memory and social development, and IT
• The visual presentation, highly motivating graphics and sound, and immediate feedback enables the children to learn at their own pace.
Isn't using a computer an isolating experience?
At Stepping Stones we believe in all types of education. Whereas real play develops all sorts of social skills within children, a touch-screen computer allows a child to interact and learn on a whole new level and most of the time they include their friends in small groups and enjoy showing each other (and the Staff) what they have discovered.
Curriculum for Excellence Early Level
Outcome for Technology:
"I enjoy playing with and exploring technologies to discover what they can do and how they can help us"
Ipads and PC computers can be used to support many aspects of Curriculum for Excellence:
• Curiosity and problem-solving skills
• Planning and organisational skills
• Creativity and innovation
• Skills in using tools, equipment, software and materials
• Critical thinking through exploration and discovery
• Searching and retrieving information
• Making connections between specialist skills